I did it a little differently this year since normally the eggs sit dyed in our fridge for a week and end up not being eaten, so I chopped the tops off, the boys got to dye the eggs and I filled them with candy and glued a paper cup on them! I got the idea and technique from the blog Not Martha. As usual, the Internet has the solution to life's little problems. So the eggs got used in omelets and such and the boys still got to dye their eggs! Plus, I didn't have to fiddle around in storage finding plastic egg halves!
Here they are dying eggs last week:
And here they are all filled with candy:
We actually managed not to get 12 brown eggs this year... =)
And here they are finding them!
The hay is killing the grass in the part of the yard we are going to turn into a veggie patch. The promise of Spring next to the promise of Summer!
It was under the helmet!
Where is that orange egg?
Is it under the leaves?
Oh! Hey! There it is!
And this is what was inside!
Cade didn't want to smash the eggs he'd worked so hard on so he pulled back the paper instead. Reid had no problem smashing everything to bits... Pretty much speaks to the state of life in this place...
But before all the egg hunting there was chocolate eating...
The boy's big surprise this year was chocolate bunnies and a toy they'd seen in Hawai'i and fallen in love with. The Internet is great. Have I mentioned that?
Here he is patiently waiting for the boys to find him...
He hops around in circles when you pet his back. He also makes weird chittery noises which they conveniently neglected to mention on the commercial. "He's cute! He hops around! He responds to your touch! And he makes loud bizarre sounds until your parents run over him with the car!" Yeah. I don't think they'd sell too many that way... Maybe this one "As cute as a real bunny without all that annoying silence!" Yeah. That'd work...
Cade gets there first.
Mom. He's not sharing!!
They did eventually figure out how to have fun with it together... Later on, Reid asked me how I managed to turn the bunny and chocolates invisible! "Easter magic," I told him. Hah! =)
And finally, us parents had a lovely brunch while the children sat and moaned that there wasn't enough chocolate involved...
Brioche with goat cheese and baby portabella mushrooms, homemade vegetarian sausage, roast asparagus, almond flour scones, and homemade deviled eggs. All decidedly devoid of chocolate.
Vacation pics up next as soon as I can unpack the camera!
2 comments:
Great post once again. I love the one picture of Cade, half tired, half with a little sun, half happy, I miss you and those boys of yours. Great Easter Bunny work too and your brunch looked fabulous! Do want some of those recipes! Yum-MO and welcome back and looking forward to the Hawaii pics!
Thanks, Suz! E-mail me which recipes you want! That one of Cade on Easter morning is my favorite of that lot, too.
Post a Comment