Sunday, December 4, 2011

Happy Birthday, Me Hearties!

We decided to have a joint party for the boys this year, and as luck would have it, they both chose a pirate theme.  (Well, Reid wanted his to be specifically "Pirate Squidbones" but since no pirate actually exists except in a one-time reference on a British children's TV show that was a little difficult...)  Considering I had very little time to plan between our Halloween party, our trip home, and Thanksgiving, I think it was a smashing success.  Thank the good Lord for the internet without which my children would have had nothing but pirate socks and left-over Halloween candy.  So here it is, a lot of it planned the day of, but it happened and all the kids had a smashing time!

The menu included: chicken drumsticks (for the little savages to eat with their bare hands), peg legs (pretzel sticks) and dip, gluten free skull and cross bone crackers:

(waaay more trouble than they were worth and just took a ton of time.  If anyone in my family develops celiac disease we're sunk),  

X-marks the spot cupcakes:

 (came up with the whole idea for the sandy beach and X's on the morning of so the X's are a little less than perfect.  If there is ever a next time I'll use fruit roll-ups and a cookie cutter or maybe a pair of scissors)  

ARRRRR suckers:


These do this to your mouth:
 There were a lot of Blackbeards at our party yesterday!

Pirate's Booty, juice boxes, water, and the pièce de résistance: a Jolly Roger pizza!

Before

 
After!
The "black" is basically an olive tapenade.  I will post the recipe on the food blog one of these days.  (Right now, I've got a bunch of Christmas cookies in the pipeline, but maybe next week I'll sneak this in...)

So, the very first thing the kids did when they got here was dress up as pirates!



Janey went home and brought her own costume!





The birthday boys got special pirate pets!


And what pirate worth his salt goes around without a tattoo?!



 
Who knew getting branded for life would be so much fun?!

The kids played Pin the Eyepatch on the pirate and then had a scavenger hunt for a treasure box full of gold chocolate coins.  Another thing I whipped up that morning was a short verse for each hint.  Some of my favorites were:
Avast!  And what's more, I think the next clue is behind the boy's bedroom door!

By the name, Skallywags, you may think that you're able, but trust me, you guys, you can't swim in this table!

We must be nearly done!  This is the very last one!  Old Skiddlywinks was so silly-hearted, he hid the treasure right where you got started!  Yo ho!  And off we go!

Yeah.  I'm a poetic genius.  Go ahead and bask in my awesomeness.  =D

 The kids played a little and then it was FINALLY time for cupcakes!



Then more playing and more playing and guests drifting off into the night...

The boys loved their presents!  Thank you to everyone!


 
I think a good time was had by all!

No comments: