Saturday, October 2, 2010

Low as a _____ in the grass...

So, today I decided to mow the grass.  Seeing as how it had already devoured our hose, two of the kid's sand rakes, and a child size lawn rake, I thought it might be time.  The gardening tools rejoiced!  Since neither of us had mowed in at least a month and the rain has been abundant, it goes without saying it took a little bit of huffing to push our mower.  (Plus I made Brandon lower it so it would cut the grass shorter as I am 1) not so bright and 2) lazy enough to not want to have to mow again the rest of the year...)  So, I'm plowing along wondering again why we got a reel mower instead of a self propelled gas mower and arguing with myself that this lawn is so small there really isn't a need and this is better exercise anyway and I look down.  Hey!  There's a little green caterpillar rolled up in the grass.  "Time to educate the youngsters!", I think, benevolently.  As I am reaching for it, something in the grass moves.  It's too fast to be an earthworm, though it's about the same size.  It is, in fact:
A teeny baby garter snake!  This is after Brandon caught it and put it in a little dish for the boys to see.  He was none too happy with us and struck at Brandon once.  Poor little thing was scared to half to death!

Here is a pic with Brandon's finger in it, not a great picture, but a good size reference:
This is the first snake we have seen since moving to WA.  None in this area are poisonous, fortunately and this guy certainly wasn't.  After much excitement, we finally released him down the bank.  Hope he lives long and prospers.  We could use another shrew eater around here.  Especially one that doesn't leave us "leftovers" on the porch.

No comments: