Tuesday, May 5, 2009

The Great Outdoors

So. I am so glad to finally be able to be outside on a fairly regular basis that I have been taking pictures of everything. I hope I don't bore you with all the pictures of plants. I just really like learning the names of plants, even weeds...



This is my camellia in full bloom. I loved it.

This is a pretty little white flower that I don't know the name of. There is a big mass of these in with my Vinca.

This looks a lot like those little white ones, but there is only one. Maybe some day I'll have these growing in the same place...


Low Oregon grape. Apparently, this makes edible fruit, but is supposedly a big seed and sour fruit only suitable for jelly. I don't guess we'll be gorging on it, but it's a native and we have a lot of it...

Horsetails. Lots of these, too.


The best view of our purple leaf plum.



I thought this was a snowberry, but none of the pics of snowberry I can find online look like this. I guess I'll have to see what color the fruit is.

Dada putting the patch back on the roof the garage. Turns out it was an upside down doormat.

Brandon spent a weekend putting this mailbox back up with our neighbor. I think they did a great job.


Cade has discovered digging in the dirt.


Tulip trip to Mt. Vernon.






St Edward's park. I love Cade's expression in this one...



Cade the pilot.
These are big cement "eggs" that have different things pressed into them like small toys, bottlecaps, marbles, dice, pottery shards, etc.

Vinca.

This little guy hops from the roof to the purple leaf plum all day long.


The birds finally found the birdfeeder. Mostly we get chickadees, but I love chickadees so WOOT!

My wisteria is beginning to bloom.


One of my two blooming rhododendrons.

I just love the color of this one. I've never seen anything like it.

Relaxin' on the hammock.

I'm pretty sure these are peonies.

Pretty sure these are calla lilies. I've got a bunch of it coming up, whatever it is...

Cade watering his pansy. He begged me for it in the store, picked the place to plant it, and helped me plant it. He loves it. And it keeps him occupied while we're waiting for the rest of our garden to emerge.



This is called herb Robert or sometimes stinky Bob because apparently when you pull it up it's kind of smelly. I think it's pretty so I don't plan to pull much of it up. It's a geranium that escaped and took over the world so now it's a weed. I've got scads of it.


Brandon bought this mole repeller. It's solar powered and makes a clicking sound to keep the moles away. Reid thought it looked like some sort of musical instrument apparently. He kept trying to blow into it.


Probably a rabbit hole. And more horsetails.


Helping Mama hoe the rows.
Reid insisted on wearing gloves.

Cade loved hoeing.


Brandon's only request for the garden was onions. So he got to show Cade how to plant them. Reid helped us plant some of the garden, too.

Eating a seed potato. Don't worry, I didn't let him swallow it...

Covering up the squash. We planted tomatoes, peas, carrots, lettuce, spinach, onions, potatoes, spaghetti squash, dwarf sunflowers and a children's mix of cutting flowers in this patch. Later, I planted an herb garden above this plot with dill, basil, rosemary, lavender, and chives. I've got some catnip to plant, too, but I think that's going on a pot on the porch to keep the neighborhood cats out of it. I've got two small monarda (bee's balm) that I am going to plant, also.

Galium. There are about 700 varieties of Galium including Sweet Woodruff, which people buy at nurseries. This is just one of the 699 other weedy varieties, but I really like the way it looks, so I've been encouraging it.

This is bleeding heart in my neighbor's woods. I wanted to come down and take some pictures because I'm pretty sure when they build their house the will be putting a driveway over this. Not sure if this is the native or what I've got. Online the pictures show both of our varieties as the native. But the leaves and flower formations are different. At any rate, bleeding heart is one of my all time favorites and I'm glad to have it at all.

Bitter cherry, a native.


When the leaves were first emerging I thought this might be dogwood. Turns out it's Indian Plum, another native. We've got a few of these, too.



My prize composter. Very proud of this baby.

I'm sure you're all waiting with bated breath to see how the garden grows. Don't worry, I'll keep you posted. Right now it looks like a giant mud puddle.

1 comment:

Susan said...

I love everything and am so happy you have land to plant and grow and watch and take pictures of and teach your kids about! It is all just wonderful. Maybe if the neighbors plan to throw a driveway on those bleeding hearts they;ll let you dig them up and plant them somewhere.

I look forward to pictures of your veggie garden!

Noah loves ladybugs and we'll get some new ones when the yard is done here, maybe Cade and Reid would enjoy that?

S